Monday, October 15, 2012

Confirmation!

As I work and do research for my after-school program today, I stumbled across an article that further supports the dire need for my after-school program. MN Schools are failing to provide all of the required arts.


  • Only 28% of elementary schools in MN offer all of the required arts. (Arts, Drama, Music, & Dance)
  • Less than 50% of all middle & high schools in MN offer all of the required arts.
  • Research shows that students involved in the arts do better in math, science, and reading. 

"I think it's really important that our state and our school districts realize that they need to fund and support the arts just as strongly as they fund math and reading," said Kris Holsen, an elementary art and theater teacher in Brooklyn Park and president-elect of the Arts Educators of Minnesota.

Please Read...
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2012/10/11/education/study-minnesota-school-arts-mandates/

No comments:

Post a Comment